Saturday, February 2, 2008

Why do they have to grow up?

My Barbie Princess Fairy Cowgirl.

I'm just sitting here thinking. This little girl turned 5. Not possible for at least 2 reasons, #1 I'm not nearly old enough to have a Kindergartener, and #2 It can't possibly have been 5 years since I first laid eyes on my little Olivia. It's just not possible!

Olivia is so smart, and cute, and sweet, and her imagiantion is so much fun to watch and listen to, and some of the things she does and says keep me on my toes.
I have a few of my favorite "Olivia Moments" I'd like to share with you.

We were driving to Grandma and Grandpa's house, Olivia was a few months shy of turning 3. She sat in her car seat, being unusually quiet when she let us into that little mind of hers, "Dad, dogs have tails and cats have tails." This sparked a conversation on what other animals did and did not have tails. Monkeys, yes. Sharks, no. I turned around and asked, "Olivia, do you have a tail?" She took a moment to think, "No! I have a bum!"

The day came when I was able to inform Olivia that I was pregnant with baby #3. I told her there was a baby in my tummy. She got the cutest little confused look on her face and said, "Are you sure?" I told her that I was sure. She then started planning her life with a new sister, i had the sad job of informing her that we didn't know if it was a sister or another brother. "Let's just call it a girl."she said. Olivia was quite sure from early on that she was getting a girl sister and not a girl brother.

Same week I was reading the Book of Mormon with her. She was quite inqusitive about what a record was, what wicked was, and what destroy meant. I finished reading and went over what we had talked about with her. "Olivia, what does wicked mean?" Answer: "It means you don't get any treats." There's also a very fun Laban story, a bit too long for this post.

Olivia loves to make new friends. When we go to the playground, when we go to McDonald's and this paticular time when we went to Target during the Christmas rush. "Mom, maybe I can make a new friend today!" I tried to explain that this wasn't a play place and that most everyone would be rushing. That, however, failed to deter my daughter. We were walking hand in hand when a family that looked mid-eastern to me passed by going the opposite direction. They had a little girl about Olivia's size. Olivia looked at her, waved, smiled sweetly, and said....."Hola!" i started walking faster....and tried not to laugh too loud.

What can I say about Olivia? She is my favorite oldest daughter. she is the cutest Olivia I know. She is a sometimes more than others patient sister to Sam. She is a mostly gentle older sister to Emerson. She is sweet, and onery, and fun, and lovely. I love her to pieces. I want her to stay small. She, however, informs me she needs to get big so she can be a mommy, too. Not so fast, my dear... let's just try getting through preschool first.

6 Hellos:

Marilee said...

CHEERS to Olivia! I love that lil' gal! I love to remember when Liv would come stay at Nannie's... honestly I was always sooo excited to see her! She, however, didn't show the same excitement towards me... only to stinky old ABBY CAT! Give Liv a squeese for me! (and Sam... and Emers!)

jennie said...

I'd like to share my favorite Olive Story... it involves puzzles at Nannies' and one CRAZY song... here goes... Marilee and I were minding our own business at the bar and miss Liv was doing puzzles on the kitchen floor. I dont think she had said two words to us the whole time she had been there, and then...out of the clear blue, she starts BELTING OUT "Does that make me CRAZY!? That make me CRA--ZY?! AHHH HOOOOOOOOOOOO!" mar and I looked at each other and couldn't help but laugh! LOVE LIVVY! can't wait to watch her sing in MARCH!

Jill said...

My favorite Olivia moment involves a puzzle also, and the solemn yet firm revalation that the "alligator must die.." Yes the lion in the picture was looking his way but I am not sure what the artist was trying to represent... You have your father's artistic nack.
Love you Colorady folk.
Jill

Superflymama said...

Your blog is so cute. I love, love, love, your slide show. Your kids are so cute. We miss you guys. Can't wait to see you in March. Give everyone luvs from us.

Shelly said...

Olivia says:
Thank you. Thank you for the letters. This is the letter I sent you. I'm excited to see you. Send any letter that you want to me. Jennie thank you for going to the aquarium with me. We love you so much! And we hope you had a great Christmas!

David and Janalee said...

What a cute girl she is! I love to talk to her on the phone, she is so matter of fact it cracks me up. You are awesome livvy! Now tell your momma you need to come play with the boys ( and Maya!) un California...ohh and tell your dad that really cool flowers bloom here also!
Love you all,
Auntie Jan