Thursday, February 14, 2008

February 13th

I totally should have typed this one up yesterday, but better a day late than never, I suppose! So, it was Februaury 13, 1999. A Saturday. I went country dancing in Pleasant Grove with Mindi Taylor. All of my guy friends were in Colorado teaching country dancing to a group of people. I therefore set out dancing. And flirting shamelessly. I asked a few fellas to be my Valentine, nothing wrong with having back ups, right? Well, the two names I remember from these Valentines are Eric and Aaron. I happened to be dancing with Aaron on the last dance, slow dancing in the middle of the floor, not two steppin' around the outside. There was a couple dancing fairly close to us...they were obviously Valentine's as they were making out pretty good. I observed, "Oh, look. She gets a kiss from her Valentine." My very astute dance partner said, "We could share a little kiss, if you'd like." So we did. Shortly after the dance ended, I found Mindi to go head off to our usual breakfast-after-dancing-at-Village Inn, to which Eric (the other Valentine) had asked to come. Aaron approached and, in front of Mindi and Eric, asked me if I'd like to go to breakfast. I answered that I already had plans, but he was still my favorite Valentine. Eric looked at Aaron and said, "You're her Valentine, too?" OOPS! Well, to this day, he's STILL my favorite Valentine. Before I asked him to be my Valentine, I was on his list of snobby girls. My actions of this night led to him thinking I was okay enough to hitch. So, while not something I would recommend to any of my dear nieces, IT WORKED FOR ME!!!!

I love this guy. He's about the oneriest turd I've met, but I can be less than sweet on occassion, too. He's a great dad. He works hard to provide for us. He makes me laugh. My only complaint? I have had a heck of a time getting him to take me dancing!

4 Hellos:

jennie said...

Tenderness! I love a good romance... I think I've mentioned that a time or two... ANYways... I love you guys, and even though I have to agree with you on the orneryness of Aaron, I love that fella! what other guy will have a comprehensive conversation with me about Jane Austen movies?! ;) Happy Valentines Day!

Marilee said...

CHEERS! to aaron..... nobody can spread butter on a piece of toast quite like him;) he is a heart... well, an onery heart!

Jill said...

Oh Shelly--- Good times (except however when you thought that I had fooled your surprise engagement... SCARY!!!)
I am glad that you two are sweethearts. Heres to you and your life long Valentine...
I to enjoy Aaron's MANY Skills...

David and Janalee said...

Love Aaron! So glad you chose him, even if he is a big old turd sometimes! Besides, the cowan/martineau mixture of DNA makes for some pretty cute kids...
Happy Heart day!
Jan